The Leveraging Big Data to Manage Transport Operations (LeMo) project investigates the implications of big data to enhance the economic sustainability and competitiveness of the European transport sector. The main aim of the project is to provide recommendations on the prerequisites of effective big data implementation in the transport field.
Cornerstone of the LeMo project are the execution of a series of case studies. These will be used to investigate methodological, technological, governmental and institutional issues. LeMO will supplement these case studies with a trend analysis that identifies the barriers and limitations of the transportation system to exploit big data opportunities. Based on these assessments a research and policy roadmap will be developed, which provide incremental steps necessary towards data openness and sharing to make transport safer, more efficient and more sustainable.
The LeMo project will perform seven case studies in several transport related areas, including:
- Smart inland shipping, assessing options to tune the efficiency at locks and bridges, and to improve the planning along the chain, in order to provide a ‘just in time’ and ‘orderly’ approach of the vessels at ports.
- Rail transport data, assessing issues like innovation in infrastructure and efficiency in transport routes.
- Big data and intelligent transport systems, exploring a multimodal, multiagency approach to provide useful suggestions on the prerequisites of successful big data implementation in ITS.
- Real-time traffic management, discussing a methodology to estimate passenger demand for public transport services using social media and mobile phone data.
- Open data and the transport sector, exploring issues like making open data understandable to the general public.
- Logistics and consumer preferences, investigating the capabilities of retailers and transport providers have in predicting each other’s preferences for alternative urban freight policies for limited traffic zones.
- Optimised transport and improved customer service, mapping customer complaints on transport services across various routes, and use these data to develop efficient services delivery based on channel optimisation analytics and customer analytics
For more information, see the LeMo website.